Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Back in Hobart!

J and I spent three-and-a-bit weeks in Thailand and had an amazing time. Posts on Thailand food will be coming soon!

We've been home for two weeks and it took me a little while to get back into the swing of things, but I'll be cooking and blogging regularly again soon.

In the meantime, some food-related snippets:

Cold Rock in North Hobart is open! We had our first cups last night and I very much enjoyed my Bailey's and scorched almond icecream with Ferrero Rocher and peanut M&Ms mixed in. There was a considerable queue when we arrived - it's popular!
Next door is the new Pretzel World, which was closed but they had pretzels on display in a counter in Cold Rock. I didn't think pretzels were something I like, but the ones on display looked (and smelled!) pretty tasty.

An Asian grocer, Sandy Mart, has opened in Elizabeth Street in the city, just up from Island Cafe. This is fantastic - I always forget to visit the grocers in Sandy Bay or Moonah on the weekend. I'll be checking it out soon!

Dinner at the New Sydney Hotel is as good as ever. I've recently enjoyed the lemon chicken with asparagus, rosti and sauce béarnaise (pictured below) and the pesto chicken tagliatelle with pine nuts and white wine cream sauce (although I think they forgot my pine nuts!). Apparently they'll be changing to a winter menu soon.

lemon chicken

I went to the Bund in Shanghai, Sandy Bay, for the first time. We opted for the $48 banquet which came with the following: Spring Rolls, Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup, Strawberry Pork Ribs, Sizzling Garlic King Prawn, Shredded Beef in Peking sauce, Famous Kung Bao chicken, Cantonese Roast Duck, Stir Fried Fresh Vegetables in Ginger & Garlic, The Bund Special Fried Rice and Fried Ice Cream.
I particularly enjoyed the duck (amazing crispy skin!) and the strawberry pork ribs. It was a lot of very tasty food and generally very good service, considering we were a large group.

I enjoyed a lovely breakfast at the New Town Station Nursery Cafe. I don't usually order sweet things for breakfast but I thoroughly enjoyed their French toast with bacon, banana and maple syrup. Excellent service, too.

Mt Elephant Pancakes are great. I've had their chicken, camembert and blueberry pancake as well as their satay chicken, and both were fantastic. They also happily cooked egg-free pancakes for an allergic friend.

Masterchef is back! I happily admit to loving this show. Sure, it's reality TV but there is plenty of insight into the food and cooking processes (unlike another show that recently aired), no viewer voting, and likeable hosts and judges (I love Matt Preston!).

No comments:

Post a Comment