Tuesday, July 27, 2010

First mushroom harvest

Tonight I harvested my first of my mushrooms that I planted a month ago - 9 gorgeous looking specimens! They are ready when the veil over the gills begins to tear, and you can leave them to fully open or pick them with closed caps as I did. The veil can be seen in the picture below:

mush1

The other 'ripe' mushrooms in the box (with my curious kitty Nutmeg in the background!):

mush2

All 9 mushrooms, which weighed in at 341g in total:

mush3

The next flush should be ready in about 10 days or so. Bring them on!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh how cute.
    and herro to Nutmeg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they great? I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mushrooms are so exciting to grow - I love that they require almost no effort :-P

    ReplyDelete