Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Camembert update

My lovely (and stinky!) little camemberts have been riping away in a cool cupboard. Last night, 9 days after making them, I wrapped them in greaseproof paper and put them in the fridge to continue their ripening process more slowly.

They've developed a nice white fuzz and are squishy around the edges. In the next couple of weeks the squishy-ness should work it's way into the middle of the cheese. Ever purchased a soft cheese that was too hard and tasteless in the center? That's because it's too young. Leave it out of the fridge for a little while and it will soften up.

I'm looking forward to sampling my cheese, although to be perfectly honest I'm hoping they're ok - I'm not entirely sure! They are really quite pungent, and I hope this isn't a bad sign. They haven't had any black mould spots, which from my reading is the most common bad thing to happen, but there is a slight hint of orange. I'll keep an eye on them, and sample them cautiously ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment