Monday, December 21, 2009

Cookbook challenge, week 5: Fried haloumi with mint and lemon

I'm up to my ears in cooking at the moment (dinner party and Christmas posts coming soon!) and so for this week's challenge (posted a day late!) I chose something simple. The theme was Greek and this recipe is from Good Taste magazine (April 2006) and can also be viewed here, so I won't repost the recipe. I made a much smaller batch though - 500g of haloumi as listed in the recipe is heaps! I used about 100g of the cheese. I also chose not to drizzle with oil after cooking - I just don't think the extra oil is necessary.

Fried haloumi with mint and lemon

This was AMAZING. Probably the tastiest thing I've cooked for the challenge so far! The simple, fresh flavours of the lemon and mint shine, and it's incredibly addictive.

It's the first time I've dredged haloumi in flour before frying, and it makes a very positive difference: the resulting cheese has a lovely crispy exterior. I'll definitely include this step when cooking haloumi in the future!

Check out the other entries for the Greek theme here.

The next theme is Christmas, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment