Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Slices: Lemon bars, Raspberry cheesecake brownies, Passionfruit slice and Spicy raisin loaf

I offered to cater dessert for my office Christmas party, and decided to do four slices. I decided to do this as they could be sliced into bite-sized pieces, and eaten without the need for extra cutlery.

slices

The slice second from the left is a raspberry cheesecake brownie, from the Taste website. I made it as described, but decided not to save some of the chocolate mix to dollop on top of the cheesecake mix. I also had to cook it much longer than the recipe said. This was probably my favourite of the 4 slices. So rich but so good!

Second from the right is another Taste recipe, passionfruit slice. I've made it before and it's easy and impressive.

On the far right is my spicy raisin loaf. I made this to satisfy the fussy eaters who don't like overly sweet desserts!

Ingredients:
125g butter, melted
1/2 c golden syrup
1 c raisins (but I used currants this time)
1 tsp bicarb soda
3/4 c boiling water
1 1/2 c plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180ºC.
Mix the butter, golden syrup, raisins and bicarb soda.
Add the boiling water and mix until all is melted and combined.
Sift in the flour, baking powder, spices and mix well.
Grease a 20cm loaf tin and line with baking paper.
Pour in the mix and bake for 1 hour.
Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack.


On the left are lemon bars. This is another recipe that I've been using for years, but I'm not very happy at how it turned out in my current oven. It's an older style and has an element on the bottom, so things don't get golden on the top as I am used to (and this slice looks and tastes much better when it's crispy and golden!). I can't fit these sorts of things under the grill... is it worth investing in a kitchen blow torch to finish things like this off?

Anyway, recipe below. Cardamon is the secret ingredient that really sets this recipe apart from your standard lemon slices!

Ingredients:
1 c softened butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 c caster sugar
2 c self-raising flour
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbs lemon zest
5 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp freshly ground cardamon
2 c sugar
1/4 c self-raising flour
1 c shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 180ºC.
Blend butter, salt, sugar and 2c flour to make a soft dough.
Press into a 22x33cm pan lined with baking paper.
Bake 15-20 mins until golden.
Meanwhile, combine eggs, lemon zest and juice, cardamon, sugar, 1/4c flour and mix until smooth.
Pour over the baked crust.
Sprinkle coconut over the top.
Reduce oven to 160ºC and bake for 25 mins until firm.
Cool in the tin completely, then slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment