Sunday, December 27, 2009

Cookbook challenge, week 6 (part 2): Christmas Trifle

This second recipe for the cookbook challenge comes from Margaret Fulton's Christmas cookbook. It's a great book with all manner of recipes that I'd happily cook all year round.

The trifle was made for the extended family lunch. I added home-grown berries from my parent's garden on the top layer - I'm not sure of the exact quantity, just enough to cover in a single layer.

Ingredients:
250g sponge finger biscuits
125g crushed amaretti biscuits
300g raspberries
3 mangoes, flesh cubed
1/2 c dry sherry
1/2 c apple juice
1 c whipped thickened cream
2 c custard
berries and mint to garnish

Lay slightly less than half of the sponge fingers in the base of a large glass serving bowl.
Sprinkle with the crushed amaretti.
Layer the raspberries over biscuits.
Scatter the mango over the raspberries.
Top with the remaining sponge fingers.
Combine the sherry and juice and pour over the fingers.
Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
Gently fold the cream into the custard.
Spoon the mix over the fingers, allowing excess to drizzle down the sides.
Top with berries and a sprig of mint.

Trifle

I'm not a big trifle fan (had a bad incident with one as a child!) but this was really modern, fresh and clean-flavoured. I much prefer it to the traditional trifles with jelly and cake! I'm enjoying some leftovers as I type this... :)

Trifle

2 comments:

  1. Home grown berries - how fantastic! The trifle looks great, love the inclusion of mango in it (I'm a huge mango fan!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your trifle looks fabulous, especially with all those berries on top!

    ReplyDelete