Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cookbook challenge, week 30: Onion and rosemary focaccia

Week 30! You might have noticed that I've missed a couple of weeks here and there as life in general has been rather busy. My plan was to catch up on cooking previous themes before posting current ones but it just wasn't happening, so instead I will just try to keep up with current weeks and post sporadic previous weeks when I can.

This week's theme is baked, and I decided to try a yeast-based product, as I tend to shy away from breads. This focaccia in the Marie Claire cookbook Comfort looked pretty tasty.

Ingredients:
450g plain flour
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
4 tbs olive oil
2 tbs fresh rosemary
1 small onion, finely sliced (I used a shallot)
2 tbs olive oil

Put the (unsifted) flour in a bowl, add salt.
Put the yeast in a small bowl and add the sugar and 310mL warm water.
Set aside for 10 minutes.
When it starts to froth, add the yeast mix plus the oil to the flour.
Work the ingredients together then knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic.
Put into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Spread onto a lightly greased 25x37cm tray and press it out to cover the tray.
Use fingers to make dimples.
Leave to rise for 20 more minutes.
Preheat oven to 200ÂșC.
Scatter the rosemary, onion and sea salt over the dough, then drizzle with olive oil.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
Serve warm.

I made a half recipe and it turned out pretty well. The sea salt is essential, it would be very bland without it. I was a bit concerned that it didn't rise at all during the second rising period, and I perhaps should have left it to do so for a bit longer. And as with everything I bake, the curse of my oven struck again - it barely browned on top at all. However despite all this, it was lovely eaten fresh out of the oven.

foccacia

2 comments:

  1. Love a home made foccacia, well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great!! I have Rosemary in the garden so I will give this a go. Well done.

    ReplyDelete