Friday, June 4, 2010

Easy sushi

I don't have a recipe for this, just a bunch of tips! I think it's best to learn sushi making in person with someone experienced than reading how to do it.

Sushi is really fast to make when you've made it a few times before - this took me about 30 minutes, which includes 12 minutes of cooking the rice.

I cook my rice in the microwave. Use sushi rice and rinse it in a colander under the tap. The rice to water ratio is 1:1.5, and it takes about 11 minutes in my microwave. 1 cup of dry rice makes around 3 standard-size sushi rolls. Remember to fan it once it's cooked and to very gently stir through a little rice vinegar with a little sugar mixed in. It should end up nice and glossy.

While the rice is cooking, prepare your fillings. Clockwise from top: mushroom, radish (an experiment!), omelette (egg plus a little bit of sugar), shredded barbecue chicken, carrot and cheese in the center (not exactly a traditional ingredient, but it was introduced to me as a sushi ingredient by my Japanese sushi instructor!). This is just what I had available to use in the fridge - be as traditional or as creative as you like with your fillings.

sushi1

Rice spread on the nori. To avoid getting rice stuck on everyone and everything in the kitchen, use a metal spoon dipped in water, and spread the rice with the back of the spoon.

sushi2

Filling added:

sushi3

Rolls. Put them in the fridge for 15 minutes or so to chill before slicing. To make slicing easy, wipe the knife in-between each cut.

sushi4

Ready to eat (with Kewpie mayonnaise of course!)

sushi5

No comments:

Post a Comment